It's a Marathon

We were thrilled to be able to see Michael run his first marathon in Austin, TX last weekend.  He's been training with three buddies since last fall, had his share of foot and hip injuries, but pressed through to actually run it. We had no idea what to expect, since as parents we hadn't actually seen all the training, and were more than a little skeptical that he had the time and motivation to train properly.  So we packed ice packs, water bottles, cameras, signs, and all the cheerleading skills we could muster and drove the 8 hours to the state capital of Texas, to support our runner. One of about 18,000 other athletes, I might add.

Rounding the Corner at 22 miles. Looking strong!


It was crazy, and exciting to say the least.  Masses of runners clogging the streets, making it challenging to figure out our best viewing spots. But thanks to a really cool app with a tracking device and interactive map, we were able to keep up with his progress and navigate our way to 4 prime locations for viewing and cheering.

Keeping his eyes peeled.
Michael ran for 3 hours, 57 minutes, and 45 seconds, breaking his personal goal of 4 hours.  His pace was a 9:04 mile. Well done, good and faithful runner!

Proud Cheerleader


Bobby & I are in the midst of our own marathon, into our fifth year of going up against metastatic renal cell cancer.  There's been more than a couple of "walls" along the way, alone with some periods of cruising "in the zone." Some stretches we've been surrounded by lots of people almost physically lifting & pushing us along, and other times when the road is a little lonely, we just "keep the ground moving under our feet." But it's never long before a cheering friend will show up just around the corner with a drink of water, or an encouraging word. The ups and downs of this journey have been more physical for Bobby, more emotional for me. Sometimes I'm on the sidelines going "hang in there, you can do it." Other times, I'm running alongside (albeit in far worse shape) just trying to keep up.

But the race is far from over.  Bobby's newest challenge is called Torisel, an IV target therapy drug. He has treatments every Wednesday, we just finished Week 4.  The plan is to do 5 more weeks, then do scans. If it seems to be working, we'll continue until it no longer seems to be working. At that time, we are planning to pursue the clinical trial in Bethesda, assuming that's still an option.

The Torisel side effects have been pretty much as advertised. Awful mouth sores, fever blisters, lovely zit-like rash in various locations, and general fatigue, which is pretty frustrating for someone who thrives on physical activity.  He's pushed through it, though with yardwork, and a couple of bike rides. Thankfully, winter has been super mild in OK.

Speech Therapy continues, and we do our best to do an hour of homework every day. There are still some stubborn issues that make communication a challenge, but most of the time we manage.  It is every bit as frustrating as they said it would be. 

Who knows what's ahead. My hope and prayer is just that we run with endurance the race that is set before us, by laying aside all that entangles us, knowing we have a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. (from Heb 12:1-2)




2 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Congratulations on Michael's marathon. I run but I can't maintain close to a 9:04 pace for one mile, let alone 26 and change miles.

You and Bobby continue to be on the family prayer list. You guys are awesome.

Lina said...

Congratulations to Michael. I'm so impressed. I can't even run a single mile - much less 26 miles. I'm not even sure I've ever WALKED a mile except for a couple of times on a treadmill. I'm much better at driving the miles.

I'm still praying for you and for Bobby. Watching you both fight this fight; run this race, provides us all with an excellent example of how it should be done. Thanks for the post.