As I mentioned in the previous post, we had our quarterly visit with Bobby's oncologist Dr Keller last Tuesday. The CT scan showed some continued growth in the tumor in his left adrenal gland. At the last checkup in May there was a slight growth detected that we thought might have been measurement error, but with the continued slight growth we now suspect the renal cell cancer is on the move.
Since there are also a few nodules we have been watching in the lungs, Dr Keller ordered a PetScan and Brain MRI to make sure there are no other metastatic activity. In his words, "if it's limited to the adrenal gland, we can look at removing it, but if there's other activity, maybe not." In other words, there would be no point in operating if the cancer is spreading elsewhere, because it won't ultimately make a difference. Pretty sobering thought.
Bobby had the Brain MRI on Thursday, and the preliminary results are that all's well there. The PetScan was Friday, and we had a visit with the urologist Dr Jason Cook yesterday. Based on the PetScan, Dr Cook's opinion is that surgery is a viable option. There are some nodules in the lungs, but they have been stable for so long that without a biopsy its not possible to know exactly what they are. Thankfully, the right adrenal seems to be in good shape, and it will be able to compensate for the missing gland. That was a huge relief, as the adrenals have some pretty significant functions that you would not want to have to regulate with medication.
Which brings to mind something pretty interesting. When the cancer first showed up in the adrenals back in Sept of 2008, it was in the right. After 2 courses of IL2 and a year of Afinitor (and a lot of prayer and good clean living) the right adrenal is normal. The tumor in the left is just a little more stubborn. I'm sure there must be a political parallel I could draw here, but I think I'll just let it pass! What it tells me is that cancer is a relentlessly sneaky enemy.
We still need to see Dr Keller again to confirm the plan (appointment is next Tuesday), but Bobby is now scheduled for surgery on Thursday, September 9th. Bobby had planned to do a 55 mile bike race on the 11th with a fellow cancer warrior, so he's obviously feeling good physically. Mentally, emotionally and spiritually, he's also a rock. He's amazing.
Thanks for continuing to pray for strength and healing, patience and peace, wisdom and discernment. Love, Juli

4 comments:
Thank you, Juli, for keeping us posted with details so that we can know exactly how to pray. Along with you I'm trusting God - and praise him for the technology that allows the doctors to make wise decisions on Bobby's behalf. Love you both and will continue to pray.
Hi Juli. Just read your latest blog. I'm so sorry Bobby may have to undergo more surgery. You are both in our prayers every night, and I know God will guide the surgeon's hands. Bobby looks great, I'm sure he is in great physical, spiritual, and mental health, which is definitely in his favor. Love, Aunt Marge
Connected to the blog through Dick Read. Glad to catch up with you all and to be able to pray for you. I will add the site to my google reader!
Thanks for the update Juli, Eldon and I keep you both in our prayers.
Post a Comment