Bobby and I had a fun little getaway last weekend in Las Vegas. It was my first trip to Sin City, wasn't even on my bucket list, but it was the location for the Desert Storm 20th Anniversary Reunion so off we went We had a great time seeing old friends and catching up on one another's lives. I mentioned to a couple of friends that one of the things I loved about the AF was how quickly we became close with our squadron mates. As Lucy and Ethel would say, "it was instant chummy." Particularly going through the seven months of Desert Storm, we all bonded in a unique way.
Back in August 1990, when Trip was 6, Leslie 4, and we had just found out the day before that we were pregnant with Michael, Bobby's F16 squadron flew off to the UAE, with the plan very much up in the air. The guys set up a tent city and started training and preparing, as the wives back home made the best of a whole lot of uncertainty by getting together for play dates and meals, talking on the phone, and doing our best to encourage one another. Thanksgiving & Christmas came and went, and speculations about the future fluctuated daily. Then on January 17th, I turned on CNN after dinner as usual, and was met with the night-vision-green images of bombs flying over Baghdad. My heart sank, knowing the 363rd would be on the front lines. My brain had barely processed what was happening when the doorbell rang, and a friend from our church were there, just in case I needed company.
That's the way it's always been. Perhaps we are just really good at picking friends, but I prefer to believe that God puts people in our lives at specific times for specific reasons. Obviously, our lives have been touched by adversity more than most, but I can honestly say, I've never felt like I was in it alone. There's always been someone who was there at the right time, never too people, never too few, to lend a helping hand. I say this to encourage anyone who drops by to read this blog, to remind you that you never know when you will be that one person in someone's life to bring encouragement. In fact, you already have, just by being here and praying for us.
The war ended quickly, just the way we like 'em, and Bobby was soon on a flight home to be there to see Michael come into the world. Desert Storm was a life changing experience, but also a life preparing opportunity, as we learned to trust God for all the uncertainties life brings.
More recently, Bobby's allergies led to an upper respiratory infection, probably not helped by all the cigarette smoke in Vegas. He saw the doctor yesterday, got a steroid injection and started a round of antibiotics. He's been miserable for a few days, but seems a little better today. Another round of chemo on Tuesday, then CatScan and progress report in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for checking on us.
Love, Juli



2 comments:
It is always nice to get together with old friends and remember things. I was never in the military but my Dad worked for the Forest Service and we lived all over the mountains in Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico. The families were all very close so no matter where we moved we already knew somebody there. Since Dad retired he has stayed close to his old friends.
So glad you were able to go to LasVegas, Juli. Your blog reminded me of when Uncle Don and I stopped by to see you in S.Carolina and Bobby had just returned from Desert Storm. Time flies, doesn't it? You and Bobby and all your family are always in my prayers. Love, Aunt Marge
Post a Comment