Dr Cook's nurse told us yesterday to expect Bobby's surgery to be about 3 hours. Then this morning, the surgical nurse said it would probably be a little less than that. So you can imagine that as the 6 hour mark approached, I was getting a little concerned. Finally, Dr Cook came out with the report. The surgery was very successful, the adrenal gland was removed laparoscopically with no complications. It was just a very tedious process of carefully moving things around and locating and removing the adrenal along with its resident 2 cm tumor. There are five band-aids on his tummy, so I'm assuming those are the incisions, none of which are more than one inch. It's hard to visualize how all that works, but I am so thankful there are Dr Cooks out there who have the skill, endurance and meticulous attention to detail to do it.
We got up to the room about 8pm, and right now Bobby's groggy and a little achy and itchy, but overall doing well. I always feel better when, even under the influence of morphine, I hear him ask the nurses where they are from and how many kids they have, and while they are taking his medical history he jokes that he thought the 3 lbs he lost recently would be considered "significant weight loss."
Oh, and this hospital is the Ritz Carlton of medical facilities. Instead of the Blue Beast from our Vanderbilt days, I have my choice of a full-sized rollaway bed or a cushy leather sofa. The floors are hardwood and the cabinets are dark with faux granite countertops. Should we choose, we can watch the NCIS marathon on a nice flat screen TV. The private room is easily 3 times the size of any hospital room we've seen, and the nurse to patient ratio is 1:4. The nurses, and everyone else we've been in contact with, have been extremely friendly.
Speaking of friendly, many thanks to the many friends who stopped by throughout the long day to keep me company. It sure helped make the long wait pass more quickly. And thanks to all you faithful pray-ers - we feel encouraged and supported tremendously.
Love, Juli
4 comments:
So glad to hear the good news. Now we will continue to pray for a smooth, rapid recovery. Good news too about the beautiful room! I hated the thought of another blue beast! Love, Ann
What a wonderful report. I'm so grateful to know that there are Dr. Cooks in the world who have the patience and skill needed to help in the healing process that God has already begun in Bobby. So many prayers...and so much love on your behalf. Rest well, my precious friend.
Indeed, thanks for the Dr. Cooks of the world.
I'm praying for a quick recovery.
Good news! And I'm so glad to know he was awake and talking, interviewing :) We're praying for a quick healing so he can get back out on the racquetball court and put Kyle in his place. Loved being with you yesterday. Give Bobby a hug from us. Love you both.
Post a Comment