You could say we're over the hump, but the reality is the second half is more uphill than the first half. We almost skipped last night's dose due to rapid heartrate, high potassium and rising creatinine, but the doctors opted to go ahead. They successfully treated the high potassium and low blood pressure, and the heartrate seems to be stabilizing.
There are 3 layers of doctors following our case. For each dose, the nurse does an assessment, calls the Resident, he visits, looks over lab results and does an exam, then makes a recommendation to the Fellow, who usually makes the decision, but may defer to the Attending if there's a questions. The Attending and his entourage come by each morning to check in and evaluate. There's certainly comfort knowing there's all this attention.
Bobby is exhausted, but persevering. Before each dose, they give him the option to not take the dose, but he always responds, "let's do it," knowing that in about 3 hours he's going to get hit with a wave of nausea and rigors (shakes & chills) that will further depleted his energy reserves. He's eating very little, sipping Ensure, juice and occasionally some yogurt or applesauce. This morning, I finally acknowledged that maybe this is worse than childbirth. Hopefully though, like childbirth, we will have a good result that will help him not remember how bad it's been.
Thanks for your support and encouragement. Love, Juli
5 comments:
Praying for that GOOD result!
Bless both of you. You are loved and missed terribly.
Each morning as I awake, my first though is of you. Each night as I go to sleep I pray for rest and strength for both of you. The thought of that chair and not being able to stretch out haunts me. Bobby's ability to grin and bear it is so amazing. God is so good and I know through all these prayers from so many and your unfailing faith you are receiving the strength and courage to persevere. Please know you are loved and in our thoughts continually,
Jim and Ann
Juli, your posts are so buoyant - you're always looking for that upside! And you said you weren't a cheerleader? I think maybe you are - just with a little twist. Your room sounds like it' might just be a little too small for a "herkey jump" anyway.
I got behind after I talked to you but was just able to get caught up on Bobby's progress. He truly is our hero. The "let's do it" attitude has got to have a positive affect on things. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop. We love you guys and miss you.
Is there a TV in your room so that Bobby was able to get distracted from so very good football games today!?
Is there a TV in your room so that Bobby was able to get distracted by some very good football games today!?
And boy, am I sorry that you are missing this cold Tulsa weather!
You are much in my thoughts and prayers with hopes that you are daily assured of God's grace and faithfulness.
Post a Comment