It's the Little Things...and some Big Things

First off, Bobby's had two doses successfully. The night went ok, a little harder start than two weeks ago, but that wasn't unexpected. He's really tired and has no energy. Some chills last night, but none so far for Dose 2.

It's amazing how little things can get you. After our lengthy wait to get a room (finally got here at 7pm), we discovered that our new room is even smaller than the cracker box we were in last time. Last time, I could extend the chair out to sleep, but now it can't, so I'm curled up in the chair. And there's a noisy air vent that runs nonstop, so even though we are squeezed in like sardines, we have to raise our voices to hear one another. At least it runs all the time, so we can pretend it's "white noise" at night. Then, this morning, the electricity went off for a minute and ever since the A/C has been on in the entire hospital. It's currently 60 degrees and all the nurses are in their overcoats. At least Bobby has not started with the chills and rigor yet from the 6am dose. Hey, wait a minute! Just as I'm typing my complaints, the air vent stops running, and I think it might be starting to warm up. I overheard some talk out in the hall that maybe they've resolved the A/C issue. Thank you, Lord. Now if we could just do something about the chair...

As irritating as the little things can be, I'm also thinking today about some big things. Over the weekend, we received word that a good friend of ours had passed away, and her memorial service is this morning in Tulsa. We've known Stacy for 5 years, and for that time she has been chronically ill, in and out of the hospital and in generally poor health. But she had a fierce determination and independence, much like Leslie. They both smiled in the face of adversity and loved and lived life to the fullest. Though they didn't know each other well, they were in many ways kindred spirits. In fact, it was a blessing for Stacy to share with us how Leslie had inspired her and helped her to deal with some of the fears and anxieties she had been experiencing. Before we left town, she gave us a bag of travel "goodies" - books on tape, Sonic card, snacks, face wipes and several cards with instructions to "open just one a day." At the prayer time we had at Jan & Jays before coming to Nashville, Stacy was at our side, asking the Lord to remind us each day to be thankful and to remember that "we have an angel watching after us." Now we have two. I'm grateful that Stacy was and will always be a part of our lives.

Love, Juli

6 comments:

Nana Jan said...

I've thought about Stacy standing by Leslie....watching over you now...and connected for their love for you and for your love for both of them. I'm praying that you'll get some sweet rest somehow in the midst of seemingly impossible circumstances.
Praying...praying...praying. I'm passing along some of Bobby's prayer rocks to Julie Reynolds whose son is facing some medical issues that are frightening and faith-shaking. I know they have friends who will hold them up at this time...and pray that you are feeling the strength from the prayers of all who know and love you. Thank you so much for keeping us posted. Wish we could be there with you.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and Bobby to find quiet, peaceful rest. Warmth for you both and God to provide a better sleeping arrangement for you. Missed by so many at FedEx and always asking how Bobby is doing!
Praying for your friend, Stacy's family in this time of loss.

Todd, Sarah and baby Molly

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. You guys are an inspiration. Please know that you are prayed for daily. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Stacy. Thanks again for keeping up the blog so that we know what's going on and how to pray for specific things.

Unknown said...

i hate that yall are so uncomfortable! know that we are praying for some relief for yall! love you!
ada

Lisa said...

I drove to the church today a saw a full parking lot. I suppose it was the memorial service for Stacy. I didn't know until I read your post. Her prayers were so transparent and heartfelt that night we gathered at Jan's. Sometimes the big things put the little annoyances in perspective...but I must admit that 60 degrees and being scrunched in a chair sounds like NOT what you need right now. Glad it's a little warmer in your room - be thankful for small things, right?

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Getting your sleep is not a little thing. I hope that something is resolved to where you can get some rest.